A Self-Examination Test
Today, heading into the Christmas festivities this weekend, it may be a good time to take stock of what ragged edges there may be in our lives with Christ. Here's a great list of questions from Lance Witt's book Replenish:
- Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I'm better than I really am? (Am I a hypocrite?)
- Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
- Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
- Can I be trusted?
- Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
- When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
- Do I pray about the money I spend?
- Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
- Do I disobey God in anything?
- Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
- Is there anyone I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward, or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
A new year offers us a chance to begin living reflectively and open to God's Spirit guiding us through solutions that are necessary to bring peace and light to the questions above. Be well friends.
(Note: Lance used these in the book but they originated with John Wesley and the holiness movement.)